Reflect on Digital Technologies and Identity: How are digital technologies changing how we see ourselves and our communities in education? Share specific ways that online environments shape personal identities and community interactions. Can you relate this to your own experiences in online learning or social interactions?

The biggest way in which digital technologies change how we see ourselves and our communities is by dissolving of the traditional boundaries we’ve grown used too. Specifically in terms of creating a new context for identity and community which changes how we react to and process various situations. People choose the subject matter and content in which they want other people to see, creating a false sense of reality depending on what the person wants to convey. For most people they would likely choose to emphasis and show the best parts of them which not only creates a sort of fake persona, but also can affect how they see themselves by associating more with their digital identity rather than their genuine self. This digital identity can be beneficial as it may help someone land a job interview when they otherwise wouldn’t have but could also be detrimental as we’ve seen all too much in terms of soliciting minors for example. As for breaking down barriers in a community, I believe the net benefit outweighs the net risk. It may be harder to create more personal relationships, but also allows collaboration inducing more viewpoints from a broad selection of people. In terms of the social interaction, I did this project in second year to which we had a group chat that everyone talked avidly in. When we then decided to meet in person most were either shy or made no effort to be collaborate which I found interesting as they seemed more comfortable in their digital identity rather than when in person.

Digital Platforms in Education: Think about how different digital tools and platforms help with learning. How do these spaces keep you engaged and help you learn digital skills? Give examples of digital tools you’ve used in education and explain how they helped or didn’t help you meet your learning goals.

Digital tools and platforms have played a key role in shaping how people, especially younger people, develop their learning. These digital spaces are specifically designed to maximize engagement, accessibility, and educational goals by utilizing an all-encompassing learning space that appeals to all levels of learnability. In my opinion the biggest tool in which as helped develop my skills and knowledge is that of YouTube. YouTube is home to many great channels which provide a wide array of videos that the user can choose to satisfy and enhance their learning. Some of the larger channels include “Khan Academy” and “The Organic Chemistry Tutor”, which I have used every year of university to help clarify various mathematical topics that I found especially confusing in class. I was able to shift through multiple videos and found the ones that matched my intent, which is what makes these digital tools so incredibly useful.

Instructor and Social Presence in Online Learning: Based on the reading “Where’s the Teacher? Defining the Role of the Instructor Presence in Social Presence and Cognition in Online Education” and other course materials, why is it important for instructors to be present and social in online classes? What strategies can teachers use to improve their social presence, and how does this impact student engagement and learning?

It is important for the instructor to be present in a virtual classroom as they are the ones responsible for establishing and maintaining the student’s willingness to learn. For many students it is easier to commit to learning when they have a teacher present, rather than attempting to motivate themselves on their own. Teachers can improve their social presence by adhering to the principles as outlined in the reading which include frequent contact in and out of classrooms, promoting peer collaboration, using active learning techniques, providing feedback, emphasising time on task, and communicating high expectations. These improvements can impact student engagement by in very unique ways but generally can improve and expand understanding of the material, increase involvement, and allow a greater opportunity for collaboration which necessarily increases the students presence in the classroom as well.