Discuss how open learning principles can make education more accessible and inclusive. Reflect on a situation where open learning could transform educational outcomes.

Open learning principles can make education more accessible and inclusive through a variety of different ways. For starters open learning reduces the implicit and explicit costs associated with taking courses to learn. For example, this course being fully online has reduced my travel cost of going to campus as well as elevated the very common cost of textbooks.  I am now able to afford certain things that I otherwise couldn’t, which reduces my overall stress and allows me to learn more comfortably and thoroughly. This increase in affordability means that open learning can become more accessible to people of wider degrees of wealth, which is a prominent barrier to entry when it comes to taking University courses.

How have historical advancements in educational technology shaped modern educational tools and philosophies? Choose one innovation and explore its impact on today’s learning environments.

Historical advancements in educational technology has shaped modern education in a variety of ways with specific prominence in dynamics of learning and access to education. While access to education speaks for itself, what I’m referring to with dynamics of learning is the different websites and digital tools people use to understand topics, apposed to the classic teacher classroom environments. A key piece of innovation changing the world of education is the rapid use of Zoom. Zoom allows for people to collaborate regardless of the time or place in which any participating member finds themselves in. This makes group efforts boundless and levels more accessible.

Evaluate how the shift from traditional to digital, learner-centred platforms has transformed educational settings. Share your views on how these technologies can further evolve to enhance learning.

The shift from traditional learning-centred platforms such as chalk boards, to digital mediums such as fully integrating online learn-centred classrooms has allowed for a large increase in accessibility and inclusivity. Digital allows for the learning setting to go beyond the classroom by using a multitude of aspects such as zoom meetings, additional lecture slides, and more in order to accommodate all levels of learning and availability. For example I have found that I am able to work my regular hours while also participating in an online class, which allows me more financial freedom and free time. I believe this is where open digital learning will enhance education in the future, allowing people the ability to go about their lives while learning in a digestible and convenient manner, ultimately reducing stress and increasing  engagement in the material.

Connect the theories and technological developments to current educational practices. Discuss an example from your readings or personal experiences where these theories have been effectively applied or could have been implemented to improve learning.

Theories and technological developments are the backbone of the learning models used today as they have adjusted for the different ways in which people learn. The understanding of the various ways in which people learn can be specified and amplified accordingly, with new technologies being a crucial part in manifesting these new techniques. I experienced these developments first hand when I was in second year taking a microeconomics course. In this course there were assignments that allowed us to obtain hints and step-by-step examples in order to help us better engage and learn the material. However, this was only made possible by the implementation of constructivism through the use of technologically coherent software.

Consider the role of multimedia resources in enriching educational experiences. Provide an example where multimedia has contributed to learning.

Multimedia combines images, text, and audio to provide a dynamic and engaging educational experience. It’s through these tools that people are given the chance to experience learning more suited to their natured, subsequently meaning more inclusivity. One major piece of multimedia that has contributed to learning is that of the YouTube channel Khan Academy. Khan Academy utilizes a flexible environment using the tools described above and has personally helped me understand many mathematical concepts with the help of graphs, colours, and well organized videos.